AMC – Fermat 2019
Problems and Solutions
Alpha Math Contest – Fermat is a two-round math contest for middle school students (up to 8th grade). First round can be taken locally in January. Top students will be invited to the Final Round in Spring to Bay Area, California.
Problem difficulty and topics
Topics include but not limited to
- Algebra (Order of operations, fractions, word problems)
- Counting (sets, combination, permutation etc)
- Geometry (angles, length, area etc)
- Number Theory (prime numbers, factors, gcd, lcm etc)
Please see the sample problems to have a better idea.
Only pencils, pencil sharpeners and erasers are allowed.
Calculators are not allowed.
|December 25, 2018||Registration Deadline for Test Centers|
|January 15, 2019||Individual Registration Deadline for Santa Clara and Saratoga/Cupertino
|January 22, 2019||Individual Registration Deadline for Palo Alto and Fremont
|January 19 - 28, 2019||Contest window (see the Registration & Location section for specific locations)
|January 30, 2019||Problems and solutions will be posted online
|February 15, 2019||Results and Invitations will be sent to individuals and test centers|
|February 15, 2019||Final Round RSVP period starts. Check Final Round section for specific RSVP deadlines.|
|May 4, 2019||Final Round in Bay Area, California|
Registration & Location
- AlphaStar Test Centers: Registration fee is $10 per student.
- Test Centers: Schools, math circles, learning centers can offer the contest free in 2019. To offer Alpha Math Contest in your location, please apply using this link. If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
It will be individual contest with 25 multiple choice questions. The choices are two-digit numbers (00, 01, 2, …, 99). The time limit is 40 minutes.
Students will receive 10 points for each correct answer, 1 point for each unanswered question and 0 points for each wrong answer.