A* offers online computer science courses in self-study format. Online courses are recommended for students who are good self-learners. All courses other than Introduction to Programming courses are available online. For course details, please see A* Computer Science curriculum.
Currently, courses don’t have live lectures or video recordings.
The format and the pace of an online course is also the same as an onsite course. In the course account, new problem sets will be available each week. Online students will see the same problem sets as the onsite students. Solutions will be available two weeks after the corresponding problem set. Students will receive weekly emails that briefly summarize and/or provide guidelines to the problems solved in class.
Provided Services in Online Courses
The following services will be provided to the enrolled students:
- the curriculum and the course materials are the same as the onsite courses
- lecture notes will be provided in print in advance as a booklet in all courses except advanced ones (since advanced courses doesn’t have lectures but only problem sets)
- each student will have an AlphaStar e-learning account
- students will solve the exercises / problem sets in their accounts at home
- students will submit their solutions for the weekly problems which will be graded by the automated grader
- almost all the problems are former USACO contest problems
- quizzes / exams will be taken online
- solutions of a problem set will be available after two weeks the problem set is provided
- students can post their questions to the course student discussion forum
- students will have access to their course accounts at least two more months after the course ends as a courtesy of AlphaStar Academy.