Online courses are recommended for students who are good self-learners. Online course material is the same as on-site courses. For course curriculum, content, prerequisites and other details, please see AlphaStar Computer Science curriculum.
All year-round computer science courses are self-paced. That is, the regular pace of a class is one week. Students will see the lectures / problems weekly. However, if a student has a faster pace, s/he can finish the problem set earlier than a week. In that case, the next problem set will be available immediately. This gives the flexibility for fast-paced and more motivated students to finish the course earlier than its regular scheduled time.
Note: Summer / Winter camp courses are not self-paced, the problem sets will appear daily during a fixed time period.
Online courses may be offered in one of the three formats below:
- Live interactive: This format includes live streaming of lectures with teacher interaction. It is regular online classroom environment. Students actively participate in class via asking questions or teacher can ask questions or have discussion. The lecture is recorded and students can access the recorded lecture video in their course accounts whenever they want.
- Recorded lectures: This format includes same recorded lecture videos with the live streaming format but only excluding live lectures.
- Self-study: This format doesn’t have live lectures nor recorded video lectures but the same material other than that.
Provided Services in Online Courses
The following services will be provided to the enrolled students:
- the curriculum and the course materials are the same as the onsite courses
- each student will have an AlphaStar course account
- students will solve the exercises / problem sets in their accounts at home
- students will submit their solutions for problems which will be graded by the automated grader (supports Python, C/C++ and Java in USACO Bronze and above courses).
- almost all the problems are former USACO contest problems in USACO Bronze and above levels.
- quizzes / exams will be taken online
- students can post their questions to the course discussion forum
- students will have access to their course accounts one year from the course start date as a courtesy of AlphaStar Academy.